Tuesday 29 May 2007

Face, Meet Horizon

Horizon, meet face.
The past week has gone thusly:
1. Thursday afternoon: Received a phone call that my best friend's father had passed away. Then my phone has no service and I am stuck in line at IKEA wondering why the hell chairs matter anymore. I don't need to sit, I need to help. I was able to see my friend that night, in between packing a U-Haul I would only have in my possession for 18 hours or so from Thursday night to Friday morning.
2. Thursday night: Head to NYC with my friend to get her father's car.
3. Friday morning: Take off work to move into apartment with help from my lovely family, siblings, and Roman, waiting for my mattress to arrive. When the salesman calls to tell me he has forgotten to schedule delivery, and that my option are to A. wait until the next Friday (when I will be away) or B. pick it up myself (but not to worry, the store would waive the $50 delivery fee!). Emblem must have scared him when she pretended to be me, for when I called him back, he had hired a private delivery firm and the mattress was set to come.
4. Friday afternoon: The mattress comes. Unfortunately, we have managed to break an ancient chair that my dad had as a kid growing up in Manhattan in the '50s. Good thing he no longer had any attachment to it.
5. Saturday morning: While looking through my things, I realize that a letter has come from the bank telling me my last paycheck was rejected because it was mangled by a machine. Panic. My landlord has just deposited the monstrous check I gave him for my security deposit and half month's rent, and I really hope I have enough to cover it in my bank account, considering it's, oh, I don't know, a HOLIDAY WEEKEND and any deposits I make will be available Tuesday. And my bank never bothered to notify me of this (via e-mail or anything) when it happened a week ago, even though the check was deposited the 16th.
6. Saturday night: Intended to visit with friend, but she got tied up with fam...then a really long involved miscommunication with family ended with me going to the apt. to work on the bathroom at 1:30 in the morning and getting stuck in the garage when I got back.
7. Sunday morning: Late to choir practice because the real estate agents (we think it was them, anyway) turned off the switch that controls the garage doors and I didn't realize it.
8. Sunday night: Had a major sugar low and nearly passed out. Had to force-feed myself orange juice and yoghurt, then had a migraine and could barely swallow pills. Spent the rest of the night tossing and turning in the heat (fan was at the apartment, and my screens are still not on).
9. Monday: Tried to put drawer liner in kitchen drawers, realize that my cabinets and drawers are 10" deep and 9 1/2" wide respectively, and I have 12" wide paper. Result: shreds of drawer liner used to line the cabinet under the sink.
10. Monday night: More visiting with my friend. The wake is tonight and the funeral tomorrow morning. I had planned to take off Thursday to go to G.Ad. and Friday to go to CT to help the 'rents move more things. I knew I should have just taken off this whole week. I will only work one full day this week as it is now.

Even with all that's happened, I'm still kind of floating, as I have been for the last month or so, through life.

And still, I know, my friend is having a worse week.

Timely Soundtrack: "Half Light" by Athlete off of Tourist.
Quote Trapped in My Head: " The sun got stuck, as it's making it's way back down, // We find ourselves, in a familiar part of town...So when I see you next, we'll make the most of it // Tell the sun to start moving again".
What I Learned Today: Moving is good and bad for your nourishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment