Tuesday 2 March 2004

Top Ten

The Top Ten Questions I Will Get Asked, Complete With Answers:
1. Where did you go?
Chile, to Cuzco and Macchu Picchu in Peru, La Campana, Illapel, and around Vina and Valpo. Santiago for about 8 hours.

2. What did you do?
Concentrated on enjoying my extra summer, escaping from the U.S. and all forms of work, vegged out with my beloved, celebrated, laughed, cried, bought a puppy and buried her in two short weeks, played with brothers little and big, and Mono the 3-year-old puppy's bouncy ball fetish kept us occupied. Took lots of pictures. Got a tattoo (more on that later). Went dancing, exercised, and got a tan.

3. You got a TATTOO?
Yes, I designed it myself, it's complicated, I'll put up a picture of it when I can. I went to get it feeling slightly queasy, ended up getting very pale, puking on my beloved and myself as I lost consciousness. I woke up thinking it was all a dream, saw the tattoo guy and puked two more times (managed to reach the toilet this time). I went back later that night (masochistic me) to finish it. It hurt like the dickens, especially on the spine. It's circular, about 3.5" (8.9 cm) in diameter, and it sent electric tingly sensations all the way to my neck. But it's done, and I love it dearly. I love that I designed it and that no one else has it.

4. What was it like seeing your boyfriend again?
It was like being in heaven and not knowing what to say to the angels. It was awkward for a little bit, then we forgot everything that separated us and was around us and it was like the most relaxed, happiest thing you could imagine. It beats whipped cream by a thousand miles. It reaffirmed and cemented our relationship, and made me believe that all of this trouble and time spent is surely well worth it. I think he's the most beautiful thing alive, and he's mine.

5. What's next?
Working for at least a year until he can visit the U.S. for a while. Distracting myself from the huge gaping hole we leave each other with, concentrating on the sound of his voice and the strength of our bond. But today, I'll just go home and play Sims. Hang out with my friends, enjoy the fact that I missed the worst of the winter (knock knock) and arrived with the 50-degree weather.

6. You said you missed the worst of the weather, and here it is snowing again. What about that, huh? huh?
I admit it. I secretly wished for snow. I'm a snow addict. Now leave me to my shame...after you read my blog every day and write lots of comments. The world is so much prettier with the edges all blurred out and covered in blankets of soft, pillowy snow.

7. Isn't it hard not seeing your other half for a year at a time? Isn't it awkward when you see each other again?
It was a bit awkward for about five minutes, then we fell back into being a couple again. You're forgetting that during our time apart, we are both pretty busy people, and that we talk to each other several times a week on the phone, talking about anything and everything. Asking questions, determining the depths of our feelings, and just connecting in a special way that doesn't require us to be in the same country.

8. What was Macchu Picchu like?
It was a foggy, misty day, so the mountains looked all mystical, with fog rising over them and settling in among the ruins. We climbed Wayna Picchu and looked out over the ancient and not-so-ancient landscape below. It was nothing short of amazing. And I'm so lucky I could share it with someone who appreciates that sort of thing. I took lots of pictures, some of which I will post as soon as possible. We also saw several ruins of Incan temples around Cuzco.

9. Why has it taken you so long to put up ten simple questions?
Well, I am working full time and redecorating my room, organizing my closet, and otherwise filling my time with things I need to do (straighten out my contract and health insurance, to name a few).

10. Next time you go somewhere, can I go with you?
Only if you pay your own way or fit in my suitcase.

Ta-Da!