Friday 24 February 2006

Elizabeth the Killer

At night I dream
of being the virgin queen
the rigid rod that fell
beneath the weight of air

I feel my ministers
rob my body seconds
after I close my watery eyes
Stealing England from my hand

Pulling fingers that danced
as pale, supple spiders
weaving the threads of
traitors and gentlemen

And I can only muse
with my dull, flat tongue
that had I known love, I would have
stabbed it in its heart

The final thrust I'd strike
with a dismissal so cold
gazing at the dazed dawn
from soundproof chambers

where the only cannon shot
to breach my inner sanctum
would be the one to fell England
and with it, me.

~~~~~~~~AEW~~~~~~~~

Masculine rhymes are from accents, Feminine rhymes are from disyllabia. <-- Poems ad infinitum

No comments:

Post a Comment