Thursday 15 June 2006

Toast to the Senses

I just remembered
you introduced me to
salt & vinegar potato chips
in the supermarket
not yet bought, you said the cashiers
don't care, we pay for it anyway
and placed one on my tongue
it burned like sour cloves
like the thought
of getting caught

And I know, about life...
Here's to tasting freedom

In Disneyland
before the fall of the U.S. curtain
we wore full dress
I was livid when we became
mainstream's movie, judged and watched
as if we wouldn't understand the talk
you pulled black up, to make me laugh
to cover those eyes you hated
But our secret was we
could see through the fabric

And I know, the world is good...
Here's to showing them all

In the depths of high school
low-budget, high-emotion drama
you came with humility
the others talk about me
when they think I can't tell
they say I reek of outside
asked me dark-eyed if you did
I lied; how could I explain
your perfume of spices, trade winds,
onions, and your home?

And I know, I know, Allah loves us...
Here's to incense

More than summer sounds late at night
hazy shouts and carpet-held sobs
your father, he loved my eyes
liked to joke and pretend
I would be his other wife
you asked me, what should we do?
when your mother sweeps bruised skin
under the rug
Revenge made me answer
call the police

Oh, I know, mankind is alright...
Here's to telephone wires

You wanted to hold my hand at school
show friendship as you knew it
Stick-shift lesson at 2am
with sand for shoes
Still: Nothing was so warm-cold
as the Pacific at night
in denim or yards of holiness
seemed like a dream, but we had proof:
salt slipping through our hands
waves like me crashing rarely in your life

And I know, I know, love is waiting...
Here's to manmade distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~AEW~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~For Peace~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment