Tuesday 13 July 2004

Thoughts From Pinhale (Espirito Santo do Pinhale, BRAZIL)

30 Mai 2004


Fireworks from the church down the road from my hotel (I think) that has been broadcasting their evening service. Whistles, explosions, and smoke have everyone running to the myriad balconies that line this street. Yesterday, at the Opcao restaurant kiddy-corner from our hotel, we were accepted into this multicultural, blended family. The Japanese-born, Portuguese-speaking four-generational Taguchis, and their various spouses; the Italian Paco and the Brazilian Chico. Daniela and Chico's children, Fernanda and Carlao, are beautiful, with Asian features, perfect moon faces, and an inimitable medium skin-tone. We watched videos of the two sisters' weddings, and it made me think. They seem so happy, even now, years later. D. & C. have an enormous house, with a gorgeous porch built by Chico and helpers. A pink, wooden playhouse with a yellow roof shares space with a large in-ground pool, gardens all around with exotic-looking flowers. Red, half-moon tiles for the roof. A view of the town from 5 meters up. Built on a gentle hill like Vina, only smoother, with less twisting and jerking. It is my ideal house - or at least ideal porch. A full barbecue and sink with counter and cabinets; a bathroom and sauna, couches, table, chairs, and two linkable TVs. The Japanese-style rock and bush garden, the climbing icy, the green-tiled pool shower; these people live life in beauty and solidity. The dark-skinned babysitter (nanny) takes care of the kids, and I almost get disgusted with the parents until she leaves and it becomes apparent that she is not a surrogate, but a supplement. The three Taguchi siblings and two children crowd onto the plush sofa-combo, making such a calm, inspiring picture that I long to whip out my camera and capture their smiles, their ease, on film. Paco and his telephoto lens beat me to it, so I refrain. These people, this life, is beautiful. It makes me reaffirm these new sentiments. At times I don't know which will win: my restless soul or my love of people and desire for comfort.


I like this country: its weather, its friendly people, its mixed races and peoples, its music, its casual work and play. I'd like to live here. But I say that about most places I visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment