Tuesday 9 November 2004

REM

My excitement over getting to see REM live in concert! at MSG*! on Thursday (Nov. 4th) made me careless. I broke my rule of always having a paper and pencil on my person at all times. Because of this, I lost a poem I composed while listening to them. I lost it in the deepest recesses of my mind. I even made myself repeat it out loud (softly, under my breath) at the time, and I still forgot it. I only remember the first part of the first verse. And I don't remember where the poem was meant to go at the end! Sigh. Such is life.

That said, it was a small price to pay for the joy of seeing Michael Stipe pants himself.

And to feel that beat, the bass, or the drums, that urges your heartbeat on. That merges with the pulse of your body until you can't tell whether your heart is echoing that beat, or it's all in your imagination.

A remarkably staid concert for me, sitting far away and wishing the tech people would use the screens. I rocked out in my seat, singing along softly (so as not to disturb anyone around me). I went with Alex and some of her friends, and we hardly talked, what with sitting all in a row and with loud music all around. Wonderful, amazing, music, that made me glad I said yes to this concert, and the memory of it spurs me on to imagine more verse, more mental pictures, more love in this world.

*MSG = Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY.

Temporary Soundtrack: REM, I Wanna D.J.
Quote Trapped in My Head:"I'll trip, fall, pick myself up and / walk unafraid / I'll be clumsy instead / Hold my love me or leave me / high..." - REM, Walk Unafriad

No comments:

Post a Comment