Wednesday 6 April 2005

Ribbon


You are a ribbon,
flat and two-dimensional.
Your body is lined
with uncompromising wire.
Your folds do not move
as my supple body does.
You are flesh and mind
stretched taut on a stiff frame.

Your ends are fraying.
You send out whispy
fiber feelers, too fragile
and hesitant to connect,
commit to taking a step.
To smoothly twirl your fabric
to the rhythm of silk
woven in a sinuous dance.

Even your tears fall
silent and salinesque
in a straight line.
Your gaze is direct.
And I bend once more
to deliver an embrace,
tuck you into my curve;
but you will not give.

I want to shear a diagonal
across your head and feet.
Give you a solid end
and proud beginning.
Gently, slowly pull out
your wires, help you
collapse into a soft spiral,
flow into a shifting curl.

But I know you will
not survive the dance
without your beloved
ribbon architecture.
The tense lines of your
rigid back warn me
you will never let me
plait your body with mine.

~~~~~~~~~~AEW~~~~~~~~~~

Prose is, like, SO over. Poetry is hot! <-- More Poems

No comments:

Post a Comment