Friday 26 May 2006

Grandmothers I Have Collected: I

On a sunlight-heavy street
she leans brazil nut fingers
down to her wrinkled ankles
adjusting elephant skin tights

she is caught in a freeze frame
by an errant shaft of sun
that catches a dark shadow
just there on her calf

this spotlight reveals
hidden edges and pastel colors
the bruise dissolves into
a faded tattoo

on an eighty-five year old woman's calf

And my mind is off and racing
even while I hide my gaze
behind the glare and dark lenses
there is a story I must hear

mistress of the burlesque
or darling of the circus ring

How did that needle come
to worship glowing brown skin?
lost bet, lover's promise
blood sister's dare?

In my favourite daydream
she comes by it naturally
polynesian baby on the move
tradition rolling off her

like waves off an ancient shoreline

I hold this memory of
unexpected rebellion
twisted flicks of ink
and replay it on eyelids

when I need to see something beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~AEW~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment