Sunday 28 September 2003

Traduccion

Here's the translation to the following poem, from the Sep. 14th poem, as quoted below:

Quiero confundirme
entre tu piel
y la mia.

Quiero confundirme
entre el sabor de tus labios
y el sabor de los mios.

Quiero confundirme
entre los latidos de tu corazon
y los latidos de lo mio.

Pero más que nada
quiero confundirme
entre tu ser y mi ser
hasta que mi alma
se confunde
con la tuya.


I want to confuse myself
between your skin
and mine.

I want to confuse myself
between the taste of your lips
and the taste of mine.

I want to confuse myself
between your heartbeats
and mine.

But more than anything
I want to confuse myself
between yourself and mine
until my soul loses itself
in yours.

That's a rough translation, it's not quite a word-for-word translation.

And here's the translation to Riesgo de Piel (Skin Risk), from the Aug 29 post.

I have powerful skin.
No more do I paint myself with colored powders.
I paint myself with blood.

I wonder: If I dressed like this,
if I dyed my hair like that, if I tanned my skin,
would you also name me with these words of ink?
Or, after so many words had run all over me,
would your drops of desperation and fear
tint my skin?

No more do I scream or cry. Now I laugh; I bury myself
in the laughter of those that survived so many years
with ironic laughter, without pure laughter.

How can they call me white? When I was a girl, I knew
that I had skin like wheat, like a peach.
Can so many lies and prejudices bleach
the tan from my body, leaving me
in whiteness?

No more do I feed forgetfulness, hypnotized,
blinded by the light that reflects
on my skin.

Why do you call me white? White are the papers
that they make from the flesh of trees.
Their inner wood, so vulnerable, has the same color
that my skin does.

White is the marble, cold, that does not bleed.
Do I have blood?
White is the freshly fallen snow.
My color is that of snow dirtied by the soil.

If this is white, will they make from my skin
papers on which they can note my "race"?
Perhaps I am the brown that disappears
when out of the sun, or the fabric that loses its color
after so many years of living without shade.

Or am I dirty snow?

I told you I had powerful skin.
~~AEW~~
It was given this title (I first chose a number of titles, such as "Painted" and "Ink") because it was a risky poem for me to write, in some ways. Oh, and I also ended up reading it at a poetry reading. It started out as an angry poem, with some curiosity and sadness mixed in. I hope that comes across in the translation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And here's a "reprise" if you will.

~~~~Fields~~~~
crisp strands yield
below aching restless feet
groves of infant trees
bend them so easily
surveyors' ghosts measure topography
or our swiftly moving bodies
wildflower crowns cling, forgotten
we are stalks among the rest.

clouds are fake snow fantasies
above vivid kites with
hearts tied to tails for stability.
raspberry thorns mix blood and earth
old magicthat has no owners
sacrifice on the waiting stone tables
no secrets for you today.

never domesticated
yet sweet smell invades
so bitterness stays.
silicone spider webs whisper
man-made shadows over crisp hay
not yet baled in sunrise
to the pounding of earth
dried with my blood.
~~AEW~~
I don't really like this poem, I just felt like I needed to get the memories down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the agenda for this post:
New pants: love them, they have zippers in odd places, yay!
Booking my trip to Chile: excited and nervous at once. I want to see H. again!
Worried about some of my friends: nothing much I can do.
Don't know whether or not to contact someone: again, working it out.
New movies seen: 8 Femmes/8 Women was a head trip, nice soundtrack, bizarre plot and characters, definitely unexpected cinematography. Holes: I want that soundtrack! Great story, I figured it out eventually, it is a beautiful story in all, and the actors are so awesome! I love Kissin' Kate's story. I figure I was a vigilante in a past life.

I did a Tarot reading on myself (I know, but there are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio...besides, it makes you think and take stock of your life) and it was surprisingly accurate and eerily important (like I got all major arcane cards, no suits, weird, huh?).

Other new stuff: Happy Birthday Lara! I normally forget everyone's birthday, including my own, but since I went to a party for Lara today, I remembered to say it.

What else have I seen or done lately? Oh, talked to SA, my recently married and pregnant friend in L.A. That is so weird, I hope her husband treats her right. It's just weird to talk to an estranged ex-best friend who you're not sure why she stopped talking to you in the first place, and suddenly started talking to you again, and wants you to visit, ASAP.
Looking back over my life over the past four or five years, I suddenly realized (esp. in my love life) what a mad, mad, mad world I lived in. I never dreamed any of these things would happen. If you'd told me five years ago even the smallest bit of what I was about to go through, I wouldn't have believed any of it. It's just so, not how you expect your life to turn out. I mean, it was all unexpected and me falling into things. I guess that's what a lot of life is like. You fall into your friends and your lovers, and some you cling to, and some cling to you, and some you let go when they bring you down or you bring them down. And sometimes, just maybe, some great soul helps you find your wings.

It occurs to me that I feel like this being, this thing that sees things from above, like an angel or a guardian, that I want to protect people, to show them what's to come. But that's so ridiculous, it's just me being odd. Scratch that from the record.

At any rate, I've been reading mysteries lately, as well as drawing some and planning on decorating some more. First I need to start buying presents for the holidays. Augghhh! I have two sets to buy for (almost three)! I've got some idea about a few people, but, don't get me started.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unhelpful quote: "Mandala backwards is Aladnam. Maybe I'm Aladdin's evil twin."





No comments:

Post a Comment