Saturday 1 November 2003

Wake-Up Call

This morning I woke up at 7:00 (after Halloween's revelries kept me up until 2:00) with a coughing fit. I was wheezing, so I sat up. All of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. It felt as if my trachea closed up, and I could only make horrible, wheezing, honking sounds. I couldn't get any air at all. So all my brain would do was tell me "don't panic, don't panic." So I headed for mom & dad's room while trying to breathe slowly and calm down. Finally whatever triggered the closing of my bronchial tubes opened up again, and I was gasping for air. So I went back to the doctor's today, and after many questions and two X-rays, it turns out that I have a viral or bacterial infection in my bronchial tubes, a bronchitis-type kind of thing. Yay. Why didn't they tell me this when I saw them on Monday? I've been coughing for two weeks now! So now I get a funky cool purple inhaler with medicated dosage that could make me jittery and wired (yay, just what I need) as well as the other pills and cough meds with codine. And I need to drink 2 1/2 gallons of water a day!

It was frightening not being able to breathe. The sounds I made were horrendous, honking gasps for air. So loud I woke up Emblem from a sound sleep when I went wheezing by her door. Mom & dad worried and fretted. When I told H. about it he immediately told me to go see him, but he always says that anyway, so that doesn't count. But he was worried, especially with me being solita in the vicinity in the upcoming days. But my girls have got my back, and every co-worker, church member, neighbor, and friend of the family will be checking up on me. Again, yay.

Time to get some much-deserved sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment